Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My Love Affair....when it all began.....

Since I was little, I've always had a love for Pin-up & Old Hollywood Glamour.  I would watch the typical black and white movies, these women with their flowing gowns, impeccable hair and makeup who ALWAYS looked beautiful even no matter what they were doing.  As a little Black Girl, it was apparent these women looked nothing like me, but my eye was on their clothes, makeup and hairstyles, that was what piqued my interest.

The older I become, the more noticed that there seemed to be no Black Women or Men in these movies. If they were, they were maids or butlers. Where were they was the million dollar question. Well, my grandmother, who had great taste (I was forever in her jewelry box and clothing) introduced me the legendary Lena Horne singing 'Stormy Weather'. I was blown away! I finally found women who I admired actually look like me! Lena Horne, Dorothy Dandridge, Billie Holiday, Eartha Kitt were the more popular faces,  I just knew there had to be more than just 4 or 5. Slowly but surely different names because to appear and I realized there was a whole other world which was the Old Black Hollywood Glamour that seemed to remain hidden.


Many of these blogs will be based on my research, dedicating my post to the unsung women who where just as beautiful,  talented, intelligent, Glamorous Women!  Also included will be hair, makeup and clothing secrets & tips, reviews, along with some of my personal vintage collections.  Let the celebration begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment